Under the direct supervision of the Practice Manager, the Client Care Representative/Veterinary Scribe (CCR/VS) provides the first impression of the hospital to clients and patients. The CCR/VS must be professional and courteous with the ability to build rapport with clients and their pets.
In this position, the CCR/VS will be cross-trained to also provide technical and administrative support for the veterinarian during appointments. This includes interviewing and educating clients while obtaining a complete medical history, animal handling, restraint, medical assessments, and updating the electronic medical record.
As the clients’ last interaction in the Hospital, the CCR/VS must ensure that they have answered all clients’ questions prior to them leaving, that they have a clear understanding of the Veterinarian’s recommendations and that client’s expectations are exceeded at every visit.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform opening procedures.
- Prepare patient records, consent forms, and other similar documents for the next day.
- Greet clients and patients in a friendly manner.
- Send thank you, sympathy and welcome-to-the-practice letters.
- Admit patients.
- Invoice clients.
- Notify patient care assistants of client/patient arrival.
- Reconcile invoices and money at day-end.
- Maintain and purge medical records.
- Handle telephone calls.
- Schedule appointments.
- Receive signed surgery/treatment consent, euthanasia and payment agreement forms.
- Dispense medications, pet food and supplies.
- Schedule boarding.
- Track no-shows.
- Send reminder notices and recalls.
- Handle miscellaneous correspondence.
- Maintain up-to-date magazine selection in waiting area.
- Perform data processing.
- Perform progress report call-backs.
- File records.
- Update client/patient files, including name, address, telephone numbers and vaccination and heartworm history.
- Present invoices, receive payment and prepare estimates.
- Assist clients.
- Handle emergency situations.
- Maintain computer records and backups.
- Perform daily light cleaning of waiting and reception area.
- Perform closing procedures.
- Assist the veterinarian with patients in exam rooms.
- Obtain weight, temperature, vital signs of pets.
- Start and maintain medical records while in appointment with client, patient and veterinarian.
- Discuss treatment plans for patients with clients for surgery or hospitalization.
- Educate clients about blood work, vaccinations, medications, basic obedience, and housetraining.
- Possess knowledge about intestinal parasites and medication dosing.
- Educate clients about general surgeries, importance of dental care including regular dental cleanings, oral surgery and microchipping.
- Educate clients about the contents of the puppy/kitten kits.
- Review lab results for veterinarians and call clients.
- Provide education and support to veterinarians as needed.
- Perform cross coverage in other departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Efforts
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, possible overtime, nights, and Saturdays as needed.
- Ability to lift 35lbs. without assistance.
- Ability to open/close various types of containers with or without tools.
- Ability to use a step ladder or stool.
- Ability to reach above your head with arms stretched holding product.
- Ability to bend down or squat or use stairs to basement.
- Ability to walk the various types of terrain around the facility.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Medical or Veterinary Assistant training program an asset, but not required.
- 6 months – 1 year of customer service experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience with general medical terminology.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Previous experience working with computers, printers, copiers a plus.
- Impeccable verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication, listening, and documentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to explain and relay information effectively.
- Ability to multi-task and attention to detail.
- Professional social skills, positive attitude, and adaptability.
- Team Player.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to work under pressure.